Gangchon Rail Bike
Gangchon Rail Bike is a popular tourist attraction where visitors can pedal along old railroad tracks while taking in the lovely Bukhangang River scenery.
When the Gyeongchun Line, a double-tracked railway line connecting Seoul and Chuncheon, opened on December 20, 2010, the old train track that traveled this route for 70 years was no longer needed.
Although actual trains no longer run on this track, Gyeongchun Line is still loved by hundreds of tourists seeking a refreshing ride within nature.
Gangchon Rail Bike operates everyday, every hour from 09:00 to 17:00. You can choose from either 2-seater bikes or 4-seater bikes. The original prices of each type are KRW 30,000 and KRW 40,000, respectively.
But, you can get the cheapest, DISCOUNTED TICKETS from Indiway 🙂
<Indiway Discount Price>
KRW 30,000 => KRW 27,000 (=$24)
KRW 40,000 => KRW 36,000 (=$32)
Total 90 minutes = 50-min Rail Bike ride + 20-min break time + 20-min “Romantic Train” ride
Departing Point = Gimyujeong Station (Gyeongchun Line) : 1383, Gimyujeong-ro, Sindong-myeon, Chuncheon-si, Gangwon-do
The Romantic Train will take you to the old Gangchon Station, but there is a free shuttle bus that will take you back to Gimyujeong Station.
NEW! VR Experience
Throughout the Rail Bike route, you will pass by 4 tunnels, each decorated in their own way.
The 4th and last tunnel offers an exciting, VR HMD (Virtual Reality Head Mounted Display) experience.
First wear the VR device over your head, and then shoot at imaginary monsters 😈 by touching the right side of the device 😀
Although this VR Experience costs KRW 5,000 extra (KRW 1,000 until Dec 2017) at the ticket office, it is FREE for Indiway customers!
Simply present your “Indiway Email Voucher” at the ticket office, after booking from:arrow: Gangchon Rail Bike Discount Tickets 🙂
This event only lasts until June 30, 2018, so hurry and enjoy VR for free while it lasts 😎
Just a few things to note:
– Age limit: 10-65 yrs (or else, please sign on the pledge at the ticket office)
– You will get the VR device at the beginning of the 4th tunnel
– May not be available due to rain and/or limited supply
For a detailed guide, head on over to What To Do in Korea‘s blog post to read a review from one of our actual users! Click here: Gangchon Rail Bike: How To Guide
How to Book
Here are the 3 simple steps for a memorable bike ride:
1) Book at ➡ Gangchon Rail Bike Discount Tickets
2) Check your Email Voucher and Confirmation Number (will arrive within 24 hrs of booking)
3) Show your Email Voucher at the Gangchon Rail Bike ticket office, and redeem your paper tickets!
If you are interested in other tourist attractions in the area, be sure to check out the following package tours:
Or, you might be interested in other Rail Bikes:
FAQ and Tips
1. 2-seaters vs 4-seaters?
There are 2 types of Rail Bikes: 2-seaters and 4-seaters.
They will depart separately, usually 4-seaters first, and then 2-seaters.
So if you book one 4-seater and one 2-seater, you will not be able to ride together back-to-back.
2. Should I email you to check if there are any available slots before booking online?
Please note that we will only check and reserve the bike for you once reservation and payment has been made online. Should the bike be unavailable on your preferred date and/or time, we will contact you first for new date/time options. If all your preferred options are unavailable, we will issue a full refund.
3. Does the rail bike operate during public holidays?
Yes, the rail bikes operate all year round.
4. Will the Rail Park be closed due to bad weather (heavy snow or heavy rain)? If so, will there be any refund?
Please kindly note that the Rail Park operates the bikes despite rain or snow, unless there are severe weather conditions. In case of heavy rain, Rail Park will still operate and MAY or MAY NOT issue a full refund. Indiway, as an intermediary, will follow the Rail Park’s policy and refund accordingly in case of bad weather.
5. I did not arrive in time for my rail bike. Can I get a refund/date change?
Once you are late for your ride, there is NO REFUND and NO DATE CHANGE. You may plead to the ticket office to allow you to go on the rail bike for the next available time slot but it’s out of Indiway’s hands.
6. Can I do a date change and/or time change?
Please note that date changes and/or time changes are NOT ALLOWED after your reservation has been made.
7. Age regulation – Does my child need to take his own seat on the rail bike?
The rail bike consists of individual seats.
Children above 3 years old are recommended to take his/her own seat for safety.
If you still want to share the rail bike seat with your child over 36 months, please agree with safety regulation agreement.
The Rail Park staff will give you safety regulation documents on the spot.
As we mentioned in our website, infants under 36 months can sit with an adult, but note that insurance will not cover the extra infant once you exceed the maximum number of people on a bike.
8. Is it going to be too cold to enjoy the rail bike during winter?
Please note that it will be very cold as it is outdoors. However, everyone has different tolerance to cold so if you are dressed warmly, it shouldn’t be a problem.
Also, the bikes are less likely to be booked up during winter and may even be available without prior reservation. You do not need to reserve so much in advance as compared to the other seasons. Perhaps it might be a good idea for you to see if you can take the cold weather first by booking after reaching Korea.
How to Go to Gimyoujeong Station
Seoul ⇒ Gimyoujeong Station
Subway is the easiest, quickest way to go.
Find route from your station on Subway Route Search Website in English.
For example : from Myeongdong Station
For example : from Hongik University Station (Hongdae)
Once you alight from Gimyujeong station, exit at Exit 1. The pick-up point is about 30m away. If you alight at Gangchon station or Gyeonggang station, you would need to walk approximately 1.5km.
- ITX + Subway
1) Take ITX train from Yongsan station to Namchuncheon station
– ITX ticket reservation: LetsKorail English Website
Remember to reserve your tickets in advance as they make get sold out during the peak season!
2) Transfer to Subway from Chuncheon station to Gimyujeong station
Once you alight at Gimyujeong station, exit from Exit 1.
- Private Van
Hassel free! Door to Door Private van service by Indiway
Includes: ✓ Driver ✓ Toll fee ✓ Parking fee ✓ Tip ✓ Door-to-door ✓ Rental insurance
Nami Island ⇒ Gimyoujeong Station
- Taxi (About 30 minutes)
– Fare: 23,000 – 25,000KRW
- Bus + Subway (About 1 hours)
1) Nami island to Gapyeong station by Bus (6 stations, Bus no. 33-5 or 33-36)
– Fare : 1,200 – 1,500KRW
2) Gapeyong station to Gimyujeong Station by Subway(Gyeongchun Line)
– Fare : 1,550KRW (If you have T-money card, you will get subway without charge)
- Taxi + Subway
1) Nami island to Gapeyong station by Taxi
– Fare : 3,000 to 4,000KRW
2) Gapyeong station to Gimyujeong station by Subway(Geyongchun Line)
– Fare : 2,950KRW